When people need to search for something online, they go to a search engine.
Type specific keywords and search engines show all the websites that have these keywords.
But out of all the websites listed there, the search engine returns with specific sites, taking into consideration various aspects.
Particular pages rank well because of factors like well-curated content, visually pleasing content, faster loading, etc.
It’s these websites that are on the top search results. And instinctively, people refer to only the top 3-5 search results.
When you step into the competitive world of digital marketing, you got to be in constant search for methods that will take your page to the top of the search engine.
Finding his website is listed on the second page of Google is a nightmare to a marketer.
To avoid such a situation, you require Search Engine Optimization (SEO). SEO as a standalone channel holds power to position your business at the top through your valuable content. Another goal of it is to drive traffic to your website.
But, how does SEO help?
It is probably the cheapest method to get eyes on your site. Further, SEO provides not only good ROI but also a lasting impact. That is enough a reason why every online business owner is paying attention to it.
However, SEO trends keep changing every year, which is an endeavour to polish the search result and give what the user is precisely looking for. If you want to carve a strong online presence, you need to be updated about the SEO ranking factors.
So, what is SEO ranking?
In SEO, ranking refers to your website’s position on the search engine results pages (SERPs). Getting a ranking on search engines is not an overnight experience. It requires a sustained and deliberate effort in optimizing the site for both search engines and target audiences.
Although ranking high on search engines is very challenging, but if you can get Search Engine Optimization right, it can indeed be a fantastic source of traffic.
Well, be worried no further. This article is fashioned for you to guide you through valuable SEO ranking factors that will create a difference to rank your website at the top.
1. Identify Your Target Market: First and foremost understand your target market, it will help you determine the content you should be publishing. Know who your audience; their age, interests, their occupations and so on.
2. Keyword Research: Keyword research gives you a clear idea of which keywords are related to the content of your website. Further, when you write your content around keywords that suits your audience interests best, you will help your users to find what they want.
- URL: URL is the most crucial necessity for convincing search engines on the relevancy of a given page for indexing. In SEO category hierarchy of a given website must reflect in URLs.
4. Site Structure: Go for proper planning even if you are redesigning your website or building it from scratch. A clumsy architecture can make or break the traffic of your website. Make a note that your site has a “flat architecture” since it needs a few clicks to navigate throughout the homepage.
5. Page Speed: Page speed has a massive impact on user experience. The slower your sites load, the more chances are that you will lose out visitors and revenue. Customers are impatient, and they want answers fast. Increasing your page’s loading speed not only draws in more users, but it has been confirmed by Google to be a ranking signal. The ultimate aim of Google is to provide users with search results which include sites that offer the best user experience.
6. Mobile First: Today, it is more important than before that your content is responsive on all mobile platforms and resembles the content as per your desktop version. Think mobile-first, not just mobile-friendly. The mobile first index means Google will do a ranking based on how it crawls a site’s mobile version instead of its desktop site.
7. For Blog:
Title tags matter a lot on-page factor for SEO after content. Keep the title to 65 characters or less.
They are the first thing a reader sees underneath the title when a page pops up from results of a search engine like Google. So, you should be incorporating the focused keyword in meta description so that it improves the click rates. Keep it close to 200 words.
Use the targeted keyword for less than five times. Write sentences that make sense. You can also take help of semantically related words so that you can extract some more traffic. See to it that the keywords flow seamlessly in the content. Make sure that the keyword is always present in the title, URL, in the introduction and conclusion.
Section Breaks and Subheadings:
Today the attention span of the audience is less. People usually scan blog posts to see if there’s anything that either catches their interest or answers the question that needs to be solved. If you can segregate your content in short sections of text and subheadings, it will help make scanning easier.
Power words and active voice:
Use of power words are a great way to influence readers and using active voice makes the content energetic, persuasive and to the point.
Include external links to make content valuable in the "eyes" of the search engine to link to external blogs and websites. Doing so will further support the information and validate external sources while making the content crisp and factual. Mix at least 2-3 internal as well as external links sporadically in the content.
They are known for increasing your website’s credibility and are also useful for SEO. Backlinks are people’s way of saying the trust your brand as a credible source of information.
Statistics and Images:
Validate your points by citing statistics. It garners attention because it shows that how much sound knowledge you hold. Position them strategically. However, the quality of the image should not be compromised. Additionally, pay attention that the pictures don’t slow down the speed at which your site loads. Use relevant keywords in image alt texts, so that it’s easy for Google to crawl your images quickly.
Make sure you have the content which the users can relate with. Not only reader but even Google prefer to read a simple language, and it boosts such sites that have a higher retention rate.
8. Social Sharing: Social media is the best channel for building brand awareness, showcasing your product, or retargeting customers and engaging with them. Social sharing triggers the ranking of a website on search engines. The more people mention you or your brand online, particularly for the right reasons, Google and other search engines pay attention to you. Google favours your site if you have active readers who share your engaging content.
*9. Website Updates
You should be updating your website according to the latest trends. Because if you don’t move forward, sooner or later you start going backwards. Inculcate new plugins, make it more attractive for the users, you can also use the latest advancements like chatbots. Update your site periodically; it will serve as an added boon.
Primarily, as long as you follow these guidelines for Google ranking factors consistently, produce new and valuable content, and keep your site up to date, then you’re sure to provide a user experience that Google will love.
SEO is undoubtedly the horse for a long haul marathon. It acts as a saviour to your web optimization efforts and can provide more relevance to your business.
But, there are no magic solutions. If you successfully adopt some or all of the strategies discussed in this article, it will help you get a better SEO ranking.
Moreover, these are just some of the SEO ranking factors, if you find any more, share with us in the comments below.