Moz Spam Score Signals Explained | How to Reduce Them?

I have seen a lot of people in our HBB Facebook Group having similar queries, whether they should be worried about “Spam Score.” The answer is not “Yes” or “No” but, unfortunately, “Complicated.” Moz Spam Score won’t be something that Google personally considers while ranking your posts or blog/website, but it’s a checklist you can follow to make your online presence better. Let’s talk about this in detail here.

So, these are the signals or factors Moz use to decide whether your domain name is spam or not.

1. Your Domain Name:

• Usually spam websites keep all the keywords thus making the domain look lengthier. You should avoid it.

• It’s also wise to avoid Numbers and Hyphens because spam or phishing websites make use of this to confuse the visitors. face-book or 0prah can be confusing aka misleading.

• Some spam websites pick some specific TLDs for spamming, it’s wise to avoid them, avoid any extension which is available for free online.

2. Your Website:

• Your website aka blog shouldn’t just have 1 or 2 pages, they should have all the necessary ones.

• Mention all the necessary details like your email address and/or phone number.

• Make sure you are using HTTPS / SSL. This is a recommended mandatory step by Google.

3. Your Content:

• Make sure the permalink aka URL of your articles look natural. Don’t stuff them with keywords or any other weird characters.

• Avoid Blacklisted or Poisonous words related to Adult or any 18+ illegal topics. Sometimes we can’t avoid this if we are covering a piece of news but apart from that, avoid such words and links.

• I know without keywords you can’t tell search engines like Google about what are you writing, but you don’t have to throw those keywords at their faces, mention everything naturally in your title and meta description. If you stuff them, then it won’t even rank anywhere.

4. Your Links:

• Build backlinks (naturally) for your website first before giving backlinks to others.

• Don’t ever link back to spam or any mysterious websites.

• Don’t ever use irrelevant anchor text to any backlinks.

• Try to avoid sponsored/paid links as much as possible.

• Focus on internal link building. Check Wikipedia for inspiration.

These are the four main things I usually keep in mind if I really want to reduce Moz Spam Score quickly. Moz does have a few other reasons, but I don’t really find them related at the moment. I’ll update this thread if anything changes.

1-30% Low

31-60% Medium

61-100% High

This is what Moz says about the ratio. Spam Scores are pretty common, and you don’t really need to worry much, just follow the usual practice, you should be just fine.

FAQ: Should I buy an Expired Domain Name having 10-20% Spam Score?

First, we have a Checklist for Expired Domains. Second, yes, you can buy if all the other factors are favorable. There is a high probability you can Disavow the links and make it back to normal. But, I wouldn’t suggest you buy if it clearly looks like a spam or phishing one. If it’s marked as “Spam” or “Dangerous” by online tools and other virus scanners, then it’s difficult to revert back everything. Let us know if you have any queries. Thank you!

3 Likes

Thank you bro. Really helpful but how authentic Moz Spam Score is in 2019? Is it dead like PageRank PR?

1 Like

Yes, Moz even revamped their whole Spam Score thing into percentage now, but, like I said, it’s not mandatory to focus on this score but focus on the signals which decide this score.

1 Like