Best Heading Structure for your Blog Posts

headings
blogposts

(Shrivant Saxena) #1

Heading Tags have become an important part of a well-optimized blog post. I have seen people always wondering the correct number of heading tags (H1,H2,H3) which they should use in their article. While there are no strict guidelines which you should follow, here is a structure which I always follow as it actually works for me:

Your Post Title - H1 By Default
Sub Heading in your Article (H2)
Another Sub Heading or a Major Point (H2)
3rd Sub-Heading (H2)
Less Important Note/Heading (H3)

There isn’t any limit for using H2 and H3 tags but I always prefer to go with 3 H2 Tags and 3 H4 Tags. I’d never suggest anyone to use H1 tag anywhere else apart from the Post Title which is already H1 by theme default.

If you’re using Yoast plugin for WordPress, you would notice that it always suggests using focus keyword in H2 tag. Hence, I always go use focus keyword both in H1 and H2 Tag. Although it’s not a necessary but it’s still worthy.

Let me know your opinion and the heading structure you follow for your blog posts.

(Pradeep Kumar) #2

Thanks for sharing your views @Shrivant, really appreciate that. :slight_smile:

I agree with what you said, apart from making the post organized, they also help a lot in SEO. I often use H3 and H4 tags on our blog posts. And for normal subheadings we use Strong/Bold tag, which makes it look uniform yet highlighted.

(Shrivant Saxena) #3

I am not sure about the H4 tags but the only time I use H4 tags is when I use lists. I still believe that using a balanced (H1-H2-H3-H4) ratio of 1-3-3-3 or 1-2-3-3 would be beneficial. That’s just my opinion. I hope more people will provide their heading structures so that we can get an average idea of it :).

(Pradeep Kumar) #4

Yes yes, but for our blog’s theme even H4 tag looks huge, so we decided to go ahead with that itself. :smiley:

In this screenshot below, “Personality Traits Of Successful Entrepreneurs” has H3 tag and “1. Congeniality” has H4 tag. :slight_smile:

(Shrivant Saxena) #5

Even in my blog H2, H3 and H4 looked pretty big. What I did was changed the font size through CSS. I’m not sure if that’s gonna affect the tag’s quality but at least, they don’t look too big. :stuck_out_tongue:

I haven’t read anywhere that font size of the H tags is important hence I decided to take the risk :smiley:

(Sai Praveen) #6

Don’t you thing it come under over-optimization?

I basically go like
H1 - default post title
H2 - one for entire article
H3 - max 2
H4 - max 3

I don’t think including the primary/secondary keyword multiple times within the same title tag adds value to OnPage SEO.

Thanks! :slight_smile:

(Pradeep Kumar) #7

Yes yes, I just focus on the text part and image part for On-Page SEO, so I make sure the “Alt” tag is optimized as well. :slight_smile: The key idea is to be as natural as possible, yet optimizing the post for our desired keywords.

(Sai Praveen) #8

Yeah. And also writing with the LSI keywords naturally within the content is the key part in today’s onpage SEO. Still experimenting with the content part. Should see how it concludes. :smiley:

(Hitesh Rawat) #9

I have edited theme code so on homepage Blog Name Is H1 & post names H2 & Sidebar, Footer widget title H3.

While on single posts, post name is H1, while blog name contain

tag.

I make sure that first heading of page in source code is H1. :slight_smile:

It’s in this way

Heading 1
Heading 2
More H2s
Then H3s. :wink: