Hey, guys. For the past few weeks I have been experimenting a lot with GIF images on Facebook & Twitter. This is mostly for increasing our Social Media followers. We rely a lot on Facebook Ads, but again, I feel natural promotion and networking with like-minded people on Facebook will help more than that, but again, it takes a lot of time though.
Coming back to the post, here is smart aka small tip for you for make use of GIF images on Facebook. This is something we did for MoviesDrop, so we are sharing our experience here.
1. Finding Viral GIFs or Making One
We have a blog/brand for movies called MoviesDrop, so we wanted to experiment this trick via a GIF related to movies. Being a huge fan of Superstar Rajnikanth, I downloaded this awesome scene from Sivaji (2007) movie via YouTube. I did some tweaks via Final Cut Pro and prepared the GIF with the help of GIF Brewery. You can do GIFs like this via GIF Brewery or Giphy Capture. There are plenty of free ones available for Windows as well.
You can either use your own GIFs (by converting your favourite video scenes into GIF) or you can use the existing ones. It’s entirely up to you. When we create our own GIFs we own use our MoviesDrop logo and the movie name at the corner.
Small Tip: Always make sure the video length is around 8 to 10 seconds and the GIF file size is around 6MB, or around
8.3 to 8.4MB 6 to 7MB maximum. This is the one giving me good results all the time. If your GIF is not working, then try to reduce the size and time duration guys, Facebook is messing with this all the time.
2. Uploading This GIF To Your WordPress Blog
I’m going to share the steps we did for our own blogs, I love this procedure, you can feel free to tweak it according to your preference.
I’m assuming two things here: 1) You have a WordPress(.org) blog. 2) You have Yoast SEO Plugin installed.
1) Go to “Pages” > “Add New” > Create a Page called “GIFs” (or whatever you want to name) | then “Save” & “Publish” the page.
2) Again, go to “Pages” > “Add New” > Create a Page with the GIF title (the title of the GIF you created or you have).
3) Now, at the right corner, choose "GIFs" as ‘Parent’ and if your theme supports, select “Full-Width Page” as 'Template' (you can ignore this if you want).
4) Now, upload the GIF file in this post, and get the URL, something like: https://moviesdrop.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Sivaji-2007-Coolers.gif
5) Below your post editor, you’ll find the Yoast Settings, go to “Advanced” and in the “Canonical URL” section, enter the GIF image URL. After this, save and publish the post. That’s all.
6) Your final URL will be something like this: https://moviesdrop.com/gifs/sivaji-2007-coolers/
7) Just to make things smooth, let’s go to the Facebook debugger. Enter this page URL in the “Sharing Debugger” text field and click “Debug”.
8) If you have followed all the steps, then you shouldn’t face any issue, you can see the ‘link preview’ as a GIF preview. If it’s not appearing like that, kindly use the ‘Scrape Again’ option after 1-2 minutes. That’s all. We are ready to experiment now!
3. Facebook Page & GIF
Go to your Facebook Page, and share this GIF page URL, I’m sure it’ll display as a normal GIF preview thing. Do post the GIF along with an engaging description, probably something like asking questions. After publishing the GIF, you can see at the left bottom corner, you can see the URL of your website. If you click on that URL, it won’t redirect to the GIF URL page, instead it’ll redirect to the Page in your Blog/Website which has the GIF URL. You got the difference right? Instead of redirecting to (https://moviesdrop.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Sivaji-2007-Coolers.gif), it got redirected to (https://moviesdrop.com/gifs/sivaji-2007-coolers/).
Now, we all know GIFs are pretty viral on Facebook, you just need to share this GIF on your profile, some groups which allow this, ask your friends to share…. and finally you can use boost the GIF (with just Rs.40 or $1), I’m sure this small trick/tip will help you to get more “Page Likes” & “Website Views”. Do let me know if you have any queries regarding this, happy to help.